Tips On Getting a Great Deal
May 29, 2011 7:45 PM | Tagged as Getting a great deal
Used Boat Savvy - Top 10 tips for getting a great deal on a used boat
2. Make sure that you remember to add in the values of engine and trailer on outboard boats (all books).
3. If you have an upgraded stern drive engine, be sure that you have found the correct listing (BUC) or added the extra value (NADA and ABOS).
4. Be sure to factor in the condition of your boat (all books).
5. Be sure to tally up all your optional equipment (NADA) or determine a total dollar value on the options (ABOS).
6. Make sure that you and the other party (dealer, insurance agent, surveyor) clearly understand how to use the price guide. For example, the NADA guide is based on boats used in fresh water, and suggests depreciating saltwater boats by 10-15 percent. The BUC book has a geographic adjustment, which can add or deduct 5-35 percent in value.
7. Do your own market research and find out the current prices of comparable boats in your area. A little comparison shopping can save you big bucks.
9. Take a small ruler to help you read across the rows of fine print, and be sure that you are in the right year and boat category when checking prices.
10. Negotiate a deal that is right for you. If you think too much reliance is being placed on a price guide value, walk away. In today's market, missing out on a boat is like losing a watch in Switzerland - there's always another. Whatever price you decide, you need to be happy about the decision.
Posted in Recent News | 0 Replies
Posted: May 9, 2016 3:20 PM Holiday Weekend Getaway
Posted: April 6, 2016 2:07 PM Safe Boat Launching
Posted: March 17, 2016 1:11 PM Spring Maintenance
Posted: February 15, 2016 11:00 AM
Posted: January 29, 2016 11:52 AM Preparing for the Boat Show
Posted: February 5, 2013 11:59 AM Gelcoat cleaning/protection
Posted: February 5, 2013 11:37 AM Gelcoat Maintenance
Posted: February 5, 2013 11:06 AM Spring Maintenance Tips
Affordable Boating Anchoring Battery Maintenance Bilge Boat boat cover Boat show Boat Show Tips Boat shows Boating Boating Industry Buy Camping Carbon and varnish buildup Cavitation Central Illinois Checklist Cooling system Covers Tops discount Dock lines Engine Ethanol Family Fuel Fuel Tank Gel Coat Getting a great deal Insurance Kids Knee board Lake Springfield Lake Springfield Marina Launch ramp Launching Loading Maintenance Memorial Day Weekend Operator Safety Ownership Parts prepping and paperwork Preventative Maintenance Pricing Propellar Reduce fuel usage Renting a slip Run aground Safety Service Sit on top Spring Maintenance Springfield Boat Show Stolen Storage Sunburn Suncreen Skin cancer Trailer Trailering Trailers vinyl mildew Warm Weather Wetsuits Winter Maintenance Winter Storage Winterization
Subscribe to Our Blog: